Wednesday, March 14, 2012

AZ Antelope

My passion for antelope hunting has really grown over the past two years.  I was lucky enough to draw tags the last two seasons (one rifle/one archery).  My dad and I had a combined 35 days of scouting before my rifle tag and were able to spend a lot of time together.  We were able to harvest the 85" buck opening day after some competition, four stalks and a 300 yard shot from my 300 WSM.

In 2011 I was drawn for the archery hunt in the same unit.  After 12 days of scouting and countless practice shots at long range I had an area picked out to hunt.  Opening morning I was able to stalk up to within 45 yards of two good bucks and 21 does and just couldn't close the deal.  At around 11 A.M. I was on my third stalk on the same group of antelope and this time the buck walked out at 88 yards.  I drew back, settled in and released.  The buck ran fifty yards and piled up.  In my opinion it is one of the hardest animals to spot and stalk with a bow.

2010 rifle buck 85"
Video of the buck I killed.  Tony and Eli Grimmett of Pronghorn Guide Service filmed this buck about 8 weeks before the rifle season and were also trying to kill him with their hunter.  It was nice to meet them and look at pictures of this great buck from the years past.

2011 Archery Buck

No comments:

Post a Comment